Friday, June 13, 2008

SLS pictures. *cries*

Well, it's looking like I'm going to have to euthanize all my froglets. So far every one that has popped front legs has SLS.

Here's my first froglet, yay. It's abosrbed almost all its tail, which means that it should have two nice, strong front arms. Instead is has one skinny, useless one that it cant stand on. Once it absorbs its tail all the way it should be ready to start eating, but because it cant move around it wont be able to eat, so that's when I'll give it some benzocaine. :(


Here's one that still has a tail, but again, only one weak arm.


And yet another one. There are more, but I only took pics of these three.


So now you all know what SLS (spindly leg syndrome) is. I'm thinking my biggest problem that led to this was diet of the parents. Darts do very well on a diet that's all fruit flies, but mantellas really need more variety, and bigger prey. They do well on crickets and roaches. I was feeding them mostly ff's, with the occasional cricket. Oh well, it's all a learning experience I guess. And this was what I was assuming was going to happen, but I'm still disappointed.

No comments: