Friday, April 4, 2008

froggies!

so I've been drying out my tanks for the past couple of weeks. Partly on purpose, and partly due ot laziness, but whatever, it works. And then for the past 3 days I've been feeding and misting a LOT and it's totally working. My blushing mantellas (the ones that I have 6 of and were in my room) are going nuts. They're calling constantly and it's so much fun to watch. I just spent 10 minutes watching as one male was calling and 2 girls were following him around, but eventually he picked one and they jumped under all the plants. During all this another one was climbing up the wall, showing off the pretty blue spots on it's belly, and another one was hanging out in an opposite corner staring down Bentley. It's quite the soap opera.

The only tricky thing is that mantellas, unlike darts, don't lay eggs under a coco hut or in a film canister, instead they lay in balls of sphagnum moss. That tank is covered in it, and then covered in plants. I have no idea how I'll find them. And, of course, this is the only tank that doesn't have any ponds or broms that hold a bunch of water, so if they did lay eggs that I couldn't find there'd be nowhere for the tadpoles to go and then they'd die and I'd feel really bad. I want baby frogs dammit!!!

I need a new tank for my snake too. He's over 30 inches and really needs a bigger tank, but I don't have money! Or room! What I do have is two smaller, empty tanks. Perfect for baby frogs that may or may not be coming, but not so much help with the snake. I wonder if anyone would trade me... two small tanks for one big one! That'd be awesome....

No comments: