Friday, February 13, 2009

Dingoes (or is it dingos?), Uluru, and stupid itchy rashes

Well I'm out in the middle of the AUstralian outback, and it's actually quite lovely. Much greener than I was expecting, and also a lot cooler (I guess we just got really lucky, last week was really hot, and with the heat comes the flies). Unfortunately I don't have any pics. We've been taking them, but Carina lost the cord to dl her pics onto her computer, so then we started using Mom's camera and then we don't have wifi here, so the pics from that camera are still on her computer, and yeah, I know, we suck.

Get over it.

You'll see pics when we get home. Not from me, mind you, but when we make the book.

Anywho. Uluru was lovely, although we were too sleepy to appreciate it. Last night was our "Sounds of Silence" dinner out in the desert, which was very nice (I ate the crocodile (somewhat fishy) and kangaroo (tasted like roast beef) but I don't know that Carina did. We met some really cool women there too, and really enjoyed ourselves. They gave us lots of champagne and wine though, and then we had a presentation by an astronomer, which was a lot of fun. Needless to say, we didn't get back until 10:30 and apparently our bar here at the hotel is the place to be, and I was still wide awake, so Carina went to bed, but I felt like being social. So I grabber a beer, sat down, and approximetly 7 seconds later some guy sat down next to me (I hadn't even taken a sip of my beer yet!) and we ended up staying up all late talking and whatnot. I actually stayed up later than I meant to, when I got back to our room I saw that it was after 2, and Carina wasn't there, which was a little worrisome. I guess she couldn't sleep and was in the hotel lobby and seemed a little irratated at me for staying out so late. I saw a wild dingo though! :) That was fun!

Anywho, so then when the alarm went off at 4:30 it was a little tricky getting out of bed, and then our bus didn't even show up until 5:30, which meant that we could've slept for another 45 mins, but whatever. We watched the sunrise on Uluru and then walked around the base of it for a bit with our guide. That was pretty cool. There were a bunch of really neat cave paintings that I got a bunch of pictures of. They don't know how old they are cuz everytime scientists ask to date them the aboriginals say "no thanks." The paintings have been around for "awhile" and that's good enough for them. We tried to get several shots of the both of us too, so hopefully they come out. Either way, you'll get to see them later.

But not now.

Ummm.... yeah.

Apparently Grace is living in Vermont with her boyfriend, their son (who looks EXACTLY like her) and is expecting a girl any day now, which is kinda awesome.

I'm getting all tan, and my hair is getting lighter, which is also kinda awesome, but in a more shallow way. :) I think I'm allergic to the sunscreen? or something? though which sucks because I'm covered in very itchy rashes. I've been taking benedryl and using both the benedryl cream and the hydocortisone, which helps, but it's still annoying and pretty ugly. And somewhat tricky cuz I don't want to just not wear sunscreen until it goes away, but I also can't really wear sunscreen when it's giving me rashes.

Very tricksy.

Luckily I brought my super lightweight pants and long sleeve shirt that I got for Peru, so I was wearing that today to protect my skin, so that was good.

Still though. It's annoying.

Alright, well I think I've killed just about as much time as possible on this thing, so i'll go ahead and stop writing now.

1 comment:

Orange said...

Glad you are having an adventure... And that you are taking pictures!!! We had a ton of snow yesterday and Muna and Ray are coming today. Party for Muna's bday tomorrow. Happy Valentine's Day!