Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I can't believe I did that

So I started my clinicals this week, yay! I'm at San Joaquin Hospital 3 days a week from 6:30-12. It's pure torture! At least, the having to get up at 5 thing is. My body is just so not used to that. I've decided that that's the reason that I almost fainted today. Seriously. It was really embarrassing. We were in the middle of an ENT surgery (not entirely sure what they were doing... Something with the nose, obviously) and all of the sudden I got really nausous and really hot and lightheaded. Luckily, I'm not a complete moron, so I had enough sense to back up and say "I need to break scrub and sit down," which I did, just for long enough so that I was sure I wasn't going to pass out, and then I went outside so I could take off my mask. I did feel a lot better when I found out that right after this happened, another student actually did pass out. Like, hit the ground and everything.

But other than that it's going well! I was kinda surprised cuz there was no orientation or anything, we got there, they told us what rooms to go to, and that was it. My first case ever I was passing instruments and suture and was holding the retractors and the suction and I gowned the surgeon (in every surgery I've done actually... hmm) and yeah. So far everyone has been really nice too, which always helps. The first day the tech I was following around was actually a former teacher at SJVC and was the one who did my interview. I walk up and say "Hi, I'm Susannah," and she's all "Hi! How are the frogs?" It was funny. :)

2 comments:

CarGate said...

You can swim the waters of the treacherous Great Barrier Reef but you can't stay awake for Clinicals? Exciting news for you. I hope after this things get easier and you sleep well tonight. Love U!

Susannah said...

well it's not like i was about to fall asleep...